If you’ve been avoiding bar soap because it dries out your skin, I’m about to change everything you know about bar soap and introduce you to the best body bar that doubles as a facial cleanser. With no harsh ingredients and lots of good ingredients, this bar is truly the best moisturizer bar soap.
In early 2022, I discovered the Purifying Cleansing Bar made by Hugh and Grace. The actual best soap. Not only did it have a rich lather, smelled delicious and actually cleaned my skin, I noticed it helped with my rosacea and didn’t dry out my sensitive skin.
I’m going to break down why I think you’ll love Hugh and Grace’s bar soap and what its benefits are.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them, and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.
The problem with bar soaps
I’ve used a ton of bar soaps in my nearly 40 years on earth. I love how simple it is. No loofas, no washcloths – unless of course you’re into them.
The problem is that even the bar soaps that claim they are “moisturizer bar soaps” can include coloring and fragrance that may be harmful to your body. They can also make you itch and even dry your skin out, despite their claims.
With an all natural, moisturizing bar soap, your skin can stay hydrated, which helps to prevent wrinkles.
What to look for when choosing a moisturizing bar soap
- Hydrating ingredients – Since bar soaps have a tendency to be drying, you want to select one that goes above and beyond to include ingredients that will add moisture to your skin. Look for natural oils that help with dry skin, such as shea butter or coconut oil and added moisturizers like hyaluronic acid (sometimes called sodium hyaluronate). These will make the bar a natural moisturizer.
- Natural ingredients – soap should be free of toxins and endocrine disrupters – especially since skin can absorb more when it’s wet. Hugh and Grace products are all toxin free and all skincare products go a step further to be hormone safe (meaning no endocrine disrupting chemicals are included).
- Do you have sensitive skin? A soap with clean, non-toxic ingredients will help avoid reactions. Just make sure if you have any allergies, you check ingredients.
- Can you use the bar on your face? Let’s be real – we have enough products. Using products that can do double duty are always a bonus. Choose a bar soap free of harsh chemicals to protect your skin barrier.
A note about Hugh and Grace products
Hugh and Grace is a company that was founded in 2021 by a husband a wife, Sara and Ben, who had been struggling with infertility. Upon research, they learned of the importance of non-toxic products, in particular free of hormone disrupting chemicals (endocrine disrupters). Without finding any products that met their definition of clean and being hormone safe, Sara and Ben decided to create their own products.
All Hugh and Grace products are:
- Cruelty free
- Vegan and plant based
- Endocrine disrupting chemical free and hormone safe – including natural endocrine disruptors like lavender.
I did a full review on the line of Hugh and Grace skincare products if you’re curious to learn more about their selection of products.
What are the ingredients in the best moisturizer bar soap?
The ingredients are what makes the Purifying Cleansing Bar the best moisturizing bar soap. They are all natural, non-toxic and hormone safe.
Here’s a run down some of the main ingredients:
- Cocoa butter – rich in vitamin E, A, K and iron, which help to neutralize free radical damage and add moisture to the skin.
- Adaptogen complex – possibly the coolest ingredient. The adaptogen complex helps to rebalance the skin’s microbiome, provide skin cell protection and improve skin roughness.
- Kaolin clay – works to naturally exfoliate dead skin cells, detox and soothe irritated skin.
- Shea Butter – soothes dry skin and provides natural antioxidants.
- Macadamia nut oil – macadamia nut oil is high in fatty acids like Omega 9 to help moisturize and soften the skin.
- Sodium hyaluronate (AKA hyaluronic acid) – preserves moisture and helps plump the skin.
- Essential oils – includes a blend of bergamot, mandarin orange, lemon, and more to create the most luxurious smell.
A bar soap that you can use on your face and body
This Purifying Cleansing Bar can be used on your face or body. If you’re looking for an affordable hyaluronic face cleanser, this bar is it.
I use this bar every day on my body and once a day on my face. I use it to wash my face at the end of the day, but in the morning, instead of washing, skip soap altogether since I have dry, sensitive skin.
What are the benefits of bar soap?
- Easy to travel with – store in your carry on without having to worry if 3.4oz of liquid will be enough for your trip. A bar will last around 28 washes.
- You don’t need to worry about a sponge, or loofa. You can apply the bar directly to your skin.
- You’ll get moisturized, clean, hydrated and exfoliated skin with this soap.
- This soap doesn’t have a high pH like many of the mainstream soaps. The pH sits just below 10, which helps to cleanse the skin without disrupting our naturally acidic barrier.
How to use this moisturizing bar soap
This soap is safe to use daily. Lather up and spread on your body and rinse off.
As a personal preference, I only use the bar once a day on my face. I prefer to wash my face with the Purifying Cleansing Bar at night and in the morning, instead of washing, I use a spray to refresh just before moisturizing.
How to store bar soap for the face
Storing your bar cleansers on a bamboo or natural soap dish to allow the excess water to drain off will help the bar last longer. You can keep it next to your sink for easy access (and it looks pretty).
I can usually get about 28 washes per bar with the Purifying Cleansing Bar and storing it in the soap dish.
What makes the Purifying Cleansing Bar the best? moisturizer bar soap?
The Purifying Cleansing Bar is great for every skin type. Whether you have dry skin, oily skin, acne-prone skin or any combination, this natural bar soap will be your new favorite.
The kaolin clay helps to gently exfoliate the skin, but it’s not at all grainy and won’t irritate the skin.
While many natural soaps contain ingredients like olive oil, aloe vera, jojoba oil, other vegetable oils, plus potentially harmful ingredients like “Fragrance”, Hugh and Grace utilizes a blend of glycerin, shea butter, other natural oils and essential oils to remain super moisturizing.
Other things you can do with the Purifying Cleansing Bar
Since this bar is made from natural ingredients, there are many other uses you may not think of for a bar soap. One of the things I have heard over and over is how this bar soap has also helped with deodorizing.
Whether it’s a family member with smelly feet or helping to boost the effects of deodorant, being a natural deodorizer is a bonus of this soap that you get just from using it.
Here are some other uses besides washing your face and body.
Use as a non-toxic makeup brush and sponge cleanser
To do this, run the makeup brush under warm water then gently rub the brush bristles on the soap bar. You can use your fingers to break it up a bit and get inside the bristles. Once it’s nice and lathered, rinse the brush until the water runs clean. If your brush is super dirty, you can repeat the process.
To clean a makeup sponge, you will do the same thing. Just be careful not to tear the sponge. You’ll need to rub the sponge on the bar soap, then rinse out a few times.
Dry sponges and brushes on a clean towel when done.
Use as a bug bite itch reliever
Out of desperation one day, I tried rubbing a dry bar of the Purifying Cleansing Bar on over my bug bites after reading it can be used for relief. Much to my surprise, it actually worked!
But I found the best way to do it is to chip a piece off with your finger nail, add just a couple drops of water to make a tiny paste and rub it on.
It’s the first thing I do when I get a mosquito bite. If you wait too long and the bite area begins to swell, I would imagine this would be irritating as the rubbing may cause an issue, but if you catch it quickly, it definitely helps.
Use as a non-toxic “clothes sachet”
Before I discovered what was in many bath bombs, I used to store them in my dresser drawers and closet to keep my clothes smelling fresh. Now, I love to place a Purifying Cleansing Bar in my closet and dresser to keep clothes fresh.
I usually keep the bar wrapped in the paper it comes in but open one end of the paper packaging. The bar does contain lots of natural oils so you don’t want that getting on your clothes. But the smell is divine!
The Purifying Cleansing Bar soap is safe for kids, safe for face, safe for body. My young kids and husband also use it. It doesn’t strip the skin’s moisture barrier, has a rich lather and recharges your complexion, making it the best moisturizer bar soap.
It has helped with my itchy skin and my son’s eczema-prone skin. Colloidal oatmeal in the soap helps to soothe the irritation.
Whether you’re in the market for a new body soap, face soap, insect bite reliever or just looking to replace your moisturizing body wash, this will be your new favorite and you’ll be tossing out your liquid soap. It really is the best moisturizing bar soap.
With many five star reviews on the Hugh and Grace website, I know I’m not alone in my love for this soap.
You can use the code JENNIFER10 for 10% off your purchase.