A chicken bone broth is a staple in any cook’s kitchen. This instant pot chicken bone broth recipe is a flavorful addition to any recipe and is a wonderful base for soups.
For cooking the whole chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (3-5lb)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or alternate oil for sauteing)
For the broth:
- Bones, skin and reject pieces from a 3-5 lb whole chicken*
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 carrots, quartered
- 4 stalks of celery, quartered- leaves are okay
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered -you can leave the peel on
- 10 cups of filtered water or however much water your Instant Pot will hold*
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional soup sock
First cook the whole chicken*
- Thaw your chicken, if frozen. Then pat dry.
- Mix sea salt, ground black pepper, onion powder and dried parsley in a bowl and spread all over the chicken.
- Dice the garlic cloves
- Add ghee to a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Once the ghee is heated, add the garlic and place the seasoned chicken on top. Use tongs to turn and brown all sides of the chicken.
- When the chicken is browned on all sides, add one cup of water to the Instant Pot, place the trivet inside and set the chicken on top.
- Close the lid to sealing and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound of chicken.
- Let the pressure naturally release.
- Once the pressure is released, place the chicken on a plate or cutting board and pull the meat from the bones. Add meat to a container to store and eat or freeze to eat later.
- Keep the liquid you cooked the chicken in in your Instant Pot and add the chicken carcass back into the Instant Pot, or place it in a soup sock.
Make the broth
- Chop your onions, celery and carrots into chunks and smash the garlic cloves.
- Add the chopped vegetables, garlic cloves, bay leaves, chicken bones and pieces of meat you don’t want to eat into a soup sock (if using) nestled inside a large bowl , or back into the Instant Pot with the water used to cook the whole chicken.
- Fill the Instant Pot with water and the apple cider vinegar.
- Turn your Instant Pot on high pressure for 60-90 minutes. More time is better, but if you need it faster than 90 minutes, 60 minutes will work.
- You can use the Quick Release function when the time is complete. Discard everything but the liquid and use a fine mesh strainer to stain the broth.
- Store the broth in mason jars or your favorite glass storage container.
*skip this section and move to the broth if you have already made your chicken
Nutrition facts below are for the broth only
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 120 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1 cup broth
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Shredded chicken, chicken broth, bone broth, whole chicken bone broth